Thursday, October 13, 2011

You’ve lost It! Where is It? -week 5


        Before I had gotten married and had my son I could do anything I wanted. I was free as a bird; I was able to spend my free time as I had seen fit.
        I think back, on what I did on any given Sunday. I lay my head back in the couch pillow; I had already been through all the channels twice and still nothings on. How can there be nothing on TV on a Sunday afternoon? As I wait for the commercial to get over, I thank God there’s nothing to do. I look around the apartment and sigh; I know I should get up and clean. I eye the coffee table it’s covered with beer cans; I start counting and stop at 30. In the middle is a leaf shaped ashtray full of butts, at least two layers high. Even if I had wanted a smoke I couldn’t, I feel like I’m about to cough a lung up. I look beyond the coffee table to the rest of the room I see empty glasses and bottles covering every flat surface in the living room. At this point I know there is nothing on TV, so I turn it off and get up from the couch. That’s when I remembered I have a splitting head and I feel like I might puke. I start walking to the kitchen I stop, shake my head and look down the while floor has a sticky glow to it. I need my sandals before I do anything.
         Then the phone rings it takes me a few minutes to find it, I answer. It was Beth one of my friends from last night we start talking about last night, we had forgotten bits and pieces of the evening that we start to piece together. What an awesome party, can’t wait till next weekend and we can do it all over again.
           I’ve lost the days of the carefree youth; I’ve lost the days of empty weekends and some lost memories. All of its lost and to be truthful most days I wouldn’t want it back. I’m much happier with kids Birthday parties and baseball games. I love that over a lifetime we can live multiply lives, be so many different people and we can so happy with each phase of these lives.

2 comments:

  1. So, the post-party living room is a flashback to before your marriage? I think that's what you want to do, but you don't quite close the deal in the first few sentences of graf 2. Ellipsis often signals...flashback, as does a use of italics for the flashback.

    The narrative thread here is pretty faint--but I guess there's a subtle story about how things are not as they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a idea that I wanted to relate but it just couldn't come out right. I'm having a really hard time thinking about stories. I'm given a topic and my mind draws a blank. I tell you that week six prompts are creating a brain fart too.

    ReplyDelete