Thursday, October 13, 2011

Weeks 5 Theme Narrative aka Story


         As soon as Mom yelled my name I knew she was pissed, and then I heard her yell for Craig, Travis and Adam. There was no point in running down the stair because I knew we were in trouble, what did they do this time? I hated the group punishments. I get to the bottom of the stairs and slide my feet down the hallway till I get into the kitchen, I look around and see that the boys have already gotten there. Craig my oldest brother, was sneaky and always playing a prank on someone. Next to his was Adam, he lived down the street from us, Mom babysat him afterschool and in the summer, he was the same age as Travis. Adam always had to be the smart-ass he found joy in pushing everyone’s buttons. Last in line was Travis no matter if he has done something wrong or not, he always looked guilty. I’m the youngest and only girl I didn’t get into much trouble of my own accord.
         At last I make eye contact with Mom and I could swear I was able to see steam coming out of her ears; she has one of our wooden mixing spoons in her hand. I see her griping it tighter and tighter, she wants to hit something with it. Then I look over to the sideboard and I see a can of soda, this is all about soda. We never had much soda as kids and when we did it gross. The soda in question was the worst kind; it was a Waist Watcher diet cola I looked down the line at the boys thinking to myself why would anyone steel that soda. Then I look to the ground, gritted my teeth in frustration and wished I had stayed at Grammys house. Before Mom started talking she made a point to look each one of us strait in the eyes, then her voice a little shaky with every fiber of her body keeping the rage at bay she asked “Who drank this soda?”  I knew nobody would fess up to this one. We all shrugged our shoulders and shake our head that we didn’t know. At that point she didn’t want to look at us anymore so she sent us all to the canning room in the basement and told us we couldn’t come up till one of us admits to taken the soda. As we walk down the stairs, I put on my game face, I didn’t do this and I wasn’t going to say I did.  If I was going to make a bet on who did it was Craig, he was always doing this kind of stuff.
           Once we were all in the basement we formed a circle and started the, I didn’t do it did you, then we came to the end and none of us did it. We all looked at Craig then he got this shocked look on his face “What are you guys looking at, it wasn’t me. I would never do that.” After what felt like an hour Mom yelled down telling Adam that his mother was in the driveway looking to pick him up. Adam just wants to go home and the rest of us wanted this to just be done with.  He looks at all of us and said “Come on guys I need to go home!” At that point I think Adam knew none of us was going to confess. He kicked a rock on the floor, mad he was going to take the fall on this one. He looked at us one more time then said “Fine, I did it.” Then he ran upstairs told Mom that he drank it and then he was out the door. The three of us stayed in the basement for a little bit; just not ready to see Mom yet. I think Adam knew it was Craig, but also knew that Craig would never admit to it. Adam also knew that he would never get in as much trouble as Travis and I would. To this day I feel that Adam saved us from a little bit of misery.

2 comments:

  1. Adam took the hit for the rest of you? WTF was wrong with Craig? Did he ever grow up?

    Best lines: "Then I look over to the sideboard and I see a can of soda, this is all about soda. We never had much soda as kids and when we did it gross. The soda in question was the worst kind; it was a Waist Watcher diet cola I looked down the line at the boys thinking to myself why would anyone steel that soda."

    I'd love to have read more about how sodas in your family were always gross. That sounded like an unusual direction.

    You've definitely got a real story here with beginning middle end. Does the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Craig never really grow up, it's his 40th birthday today and he is pretty much the same now as then.

    ReplyDelete