Saturday, October 15, 2011

When you finally arrived, it was nothing like you imagined.... week 6


I’m going to a party, god it’s been a long time since I have been invited to a party. My cousin Zack girlfriend is turning 27 so she is having a house party, there will be snacks and jungle juice. In my mind I was picturing the parties that I went to in my early 20’s. There’s a keg in the bathtub and you make sure that you had T.P. in your pocketbook because it always runs out.
Shannon my sister, Zack and I arrive at 8pm there was a few people already there.  You can tell that they have cleaned all day for the arrival of the party, there still was a faint smell of bleach in the air. We put our beer in the fridge and I give Kate the birthday girl a bottle of wine.
“Oh Amy you shouldn’t have, I don’t need anything for my birthday.” I give her a warm hug.
I smile at her then said “My birthday is in March you can give me a bottle of wine and we can be even.”  This was enough to put an end to the, you shouldn’t have done this game.
           Kate was so nice at to go around and introduce us to all the party goers. I have my first glass of jungle juice; I couldn’t even taste the alcohol. Which meant there wasn’t enough booze in it or I was going to have a killer hangover tomorrow?  
           Then starts the lame party chatter, we talked about what we did for work, where we lived and more dull stuff like that. At that moment we found the jello-shots, I thought to myself now this party has started. I take one then two; I go around getting all these people that I don’t know to take them with me. A few more drinks, I was hoping to be smashed but still pretty sober and not feeling this party. I find my way to the back deck with only my family and the birthday girl. When I think back to the party this is the only time I really had any fun at all. We talked about all the stupid thing we did when we were drunk, I told Kate embarrassing story’s of Zack as a kid. We laughed and reminisced about the old days, just enjoying some family time.
But we had to go back to the party and I knew I had to stop drinking, sober up so I could drive myself home.
           After I left party, I started thinking was the party lame or is that the way parties are for people my age. Should I enjoy that kind of party? Is it me that’s still living in the past? After all these questions came to mind, I started to look at it all different. I don’t care if that’s the way an adult party should be, that’s not my life, I like being taboo and talking about inappropriate topics.   

1 comment:

  1. Nice vignette--really a vignette about a time or a state of mind or an event than it is about a place, but it's got lots going for it--humor, interior monologue, specifics--and I certainly am not complaining in the least.

    ReplyDelete