Monday, October 17, 2011

Week 6 Theme: Place


            I love my car not just this car but pretty much every car I have ever owned. Each car has its own style, a way it likes to dance. After you find the right way to drive her, then the fun will begin. I open the car door to get in I keep my car pretty clean, it’s never spotless but I always make sure that it doesn’t smell. I hate getting into a car that smells and you have to kick trash around to get your feet on the floor. After I close the door the first thing I do is put my seat belt on, at this point in life I feel exposed without it own. I take my left foot and push in on the clutch, and start the car. I have been driving manual transmissions for so long, that you should see me driving an automatic, I keep stomping the break looking for my clutch. I think that what I love about all my cars is the control I have over them, I make them do what I want and when I want it. Sometimes I think that it’s the only thing I truly control and it never talks back.  

            Right after the car is started I have to turn the music down, I can’t back out of the driveway with it on and I never turn it down when I turn the car off. After the radio is down I have to at least crack my window open; I hate riding around with all of them up. This could be a byproduct of smoking for years but either way I love having the fresh air flow in.  

            I have always wanted to be one of those people that name each of their cars, my first car I named Betty it was the perfect name for that car but after her I never can find a fitting name for any of my other cars. So right now my Jeep is nameless, she is my fifth vehicle that has been maroon. I’m happy that I still like maroon, but it’s hard to choose the color when you are buying used.

            I'm no car enthusiast I do understand how someone could be; each car has a personality and needs the right driver. I feel that if my car could talk it would like me as much I like her.    

1 comment:

  1. This is a very engaging and charming piece--amusing in a modest way, personal, thoughtful, visual. Best of all, it doesn't feel the need to try to be more than it sets out to be. By staying modest and small in scope, it really scores.

    ReplyDelete