Saturday, October 22, 2011

A city street— week 8


We walk out of the bar its late and we are in desperate need of a taxi. It’s a beautiful October evening cool and crisp I should have ware more than a vest.  The group of us all huddle together lighting up our cigarettes and talk about going to breakfast in the morning. I look down the street a man was yelling at a car. We decide to make our way down to see what’s going on; I had no real plans on getting involved. When we got to the corner I see two people in the car, male driver and Latino women both screaming at a tall African American man in the cross walk. The man had his hands on the hood of the car yelling that they almost hit him and they tell him to get his hands off the car and the screaming keeps going on.
I look over to my sister and say “Do you think that’s a Honda?”
She looks back at me she didn’t hear me over the commotion says “What?”
“Is that a Honda?” I said it much loader then I intended.
We both look over to the car and the woman in the car looks right at me and yells “This is a Acura BITCH.”  I see her reach down; pick something up off the floor of her car and through it at me. Thank goodness she was a bad shot. It takes us a minute to see what it was, I look at Shannon and say “She through a fucking dirty diaper at me”  
We both looked up to see car speed around and park, they were out in a flash. I start walking her way she was screaming names I have never heard of. Before I go to her my best friend Beth and cousin Tiffanie where in her face telling her she could talk to me like that. At that very moment the little Latino realized that this wasn’t a fight she could win she looked at Beth “Yeah your right, I’m sorry just having a bad day.”  
Just as fast as it started the street cleared, I through my cigarette on the ground and we hailed a cab home. This was my first drinking experience in Manchester, New Hampshire.

1 comment:

  1. I'd drop the last sentence as too ordinary for this strange tale--vignettes don't need or accept the same kind of explanatory close other types of writing need. Always a plan in a vignette to leave a few dark corners.

    That aside, this works very well--offers a sketch of a scene, some dialogue, some weirdness.

    ReplyDelete