Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week 9 Theme


Everyone was going; we just had to join in. If we would have been smarter we would have planed the trip a little better, but we didn’t. All we needed was comfortable shoes, water to drink and some lunch. Checked to make sure we had cash and in the car we went. I decided to drive there and my brother Travis was going to drive home. It’s a plan.
****
I drive past Burger King and click my blinker up, hang a right onto the interstate and north we go. It was a beautiful summer day we had the windows down and my Grateful Dead tape playing. The exits keep getting further and further apart then finally we come to the end of the interstate. This was the first time my brother and I drove this far north alone.
*****
Most of the people must have come through yesterday, the road is pretty empty, and so I’m just cursing along. It’s so beautiful here; the houses are so far apart. All you can see are tree’s and potato fields. Then a few miles up the road we drive by up to a broken down Volkswagen bus, we slow down to see if they need any help but everyone is gone. They must have found anther ride to the show.
*****
I look into my review mirror then quickly down at my dash. “Shit” I look over at Travis and shake my head. I put my blinker on and pull into the brake down lane. I find my driver’s license, registration and insurance card. I looked into my rearview mirror and watched him get out of the cruiser. Then walk to our car I looked out and meet his eyes “Good afternoon kids.”  
******
We pull up to the gate and you can feel the excitement in the air. Tickets in hand drive around and find the perfect parking spot. I step out of the car and look around; I’m a completely different world.

1 comment:

  1. That's the idea--a series of quick snapshot vignettes that add up to a larger vignette when looked at all together. Literary pointillism at its finest.

    PS--if this is the band and concert I think it is, one of the band members has just re-opened the general store in Lincolnville. You can visit him there and avoid the County altogether.

    ReplyDelete