Sunday, November 13, 2011

a prompt from http://onemillionfootnotes.blogspot.com/. Week 11


"When she had made it to bed that early morning and slipped alone between the cold sheets and shivered, she began to cry quietly about it all."

I hit the button on my key ring and unlock the doors, I slid into my car. This will be my first time on 2nd shift alone, I don’t see how this is a smart decision on DHS’s part. I started the car and type the address into my GPS.

The screen door is missing the screen and is being propped open with a large dog kennel. I knock on the door and the whole trailer moves. Then a little girl opens the door all smiles I walk in.

 I walked through the halls of the apartment building; it had a faint sent of cat urine. I stopped at the end of the hall the light by the door has blown out. I ring the door bell and the young man of the house comes to the door with a pencil in his teeth and a math book in his hands I walk in.

The front door is blocked by road construction, so I head around the side of the house to the back door. Then I see a boot imprint on the door and door frame cracked. I knock and the door barely stays closed. She opens the door a baby in her arms and black eye on her face I walk in.

We walk down the well manicured pathway up to what looks like an ordinary home. I ring the buzzer and genital looking security guard comes to the door we walk in.
The familiarity of my own drive is comforting this morning, I put my key into my lock and close the door quickly behind me. I starting running on what seems like autopilot I brush my teeth and get changed for bed.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, nice take on week 11 (and week 10 too.)

    We get a series of darkish, almost-ominous encounters, each rendered with enough sharp detail so that we are satisfied, each cleverly closed with the 'I walk in' tag.

    The ending that loops back to the prompt but that leaves it to us to fill in the blank is very well-handled and, as I say, very week 10ish.

    ReplyDelete