Saturday, September 10, 2011

Week 2 Theme


The time of the day I can’t remember but I was amazed. Before now I never understood how music could control you till that very moment.  I zoning out to MTV, back when they still playing music videos, when Pearl Jam Even flow came on. To this day I remember the connection I made with the band.  The long hair and flannel, it was a start of a new era, the era of my generation. We welcome grunge to the scene, it wasn’t only about the clothes but more about the carefree mind-set. Grunge was my generation version of dirty hippies, we loved and embraced it.
The next thing I remember is desert camouflage we are going to war over what I didn’t understand. A feeling that our world would soon be different was scary, but then I blinked my eyes the end credits came on and the war was over, victory.  Then we see a live beating on TV, Los Angles went crazy. Rodney King was seen to as guilty the second the police pulled him from that car. The violence was preposterous; I couldn’t believe that anyone would deserve that kind of violence. That moment of brutality changed us, we had to take our blinders off and recognize what fair meant. Bush Sr. was out and our friend Bill Clinton was in, the 42nd President of the United States.
Early 1993 is when everything in my world changed. Sunday February 21 my family went to church in the morning then my brother and I visited friends. We got a phone call, my best friend is dead. He was just 10 days older than me. My world came to a screeching halt. Then three months later my grandfather passed away after a long battle with cancer. The rest of that year was about healing and learning how to live again.
I start my freshman year in high school a clutter of learning, hurt feelings and emotional changes. A beautiful summer day we can see that white ford bronco driving down a California highway with five police car in hot pursuit and the little black glove that started the OJ trial obsession. My family moves from Howland to Old Town, in my mind I went from being a country bumpkin to a city girl. I do know that Old Town may be called a city but it really isn’t. The first terrorist attach that I can remember was the Oklahoma City bombing and then finding out the people that did it where one of us, it was a devastating moment.
My brother graduates from high school and decides to moves to Calais. So here I am left alone with my parent for my senior year of high school it wasn’t as much fun as you would think. Clinton takes another term as our commander and chief. Also, we had the Menendez brothers, Ross Perot and Princess Di (now no longer a princess). I’m done high school moving onto the big world of work, I don’t need college I was naive enough to think I could make it big all on my own. Free to see and explore the world with no string attached or tying my down. Now we see Dolly the first cloned animal come into the world and Mike Tyson uses his teeth instead of his glove to try to win a fight. The east coast survived the Ice storm that left countless without power and heat for days. Kids killing kids is a true tragedy, Columbine left may confused and the student lost their incense that heartbreaking day.
Y2K made us truly understand how dependent we have become on computers. The Bush v. Gore presidential election was plagued with much name calling and confusion. With some regret I do have to say that I did vote for Bush but at the time it seemed the right choice. I married the man I love just when the leaves started to change we went to San Francisco for our honeymoon. A wonderful city that is full of diversity and stunning views.
Then I witnessed the greatest tragedy of my lifetime September 11, 2001. I was 8 months pregnant, sitting in my parent living room watching TV when the first plant hit the first twin tower. I didn’t leave that room for hours just trying to understand what was going on. How can we understand why it happened and the hatred that group has towards us as a nation. Then 30 days later the most amazing thing happened I became a mom. Now I work, I learn and I love.                                        

1 comment:

  1. Wherever you hook the world events to your life, the piece works very well indeed. I especially like the close where you implicitly contrast the awful events of 9/11 to the "most amazing" events of just 30 days later.

    Your innocent conviction that Old Town was Big City Life at its finest made me smile! I've lived in Old Town, I've lived in NYC--nearly identical!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete