Sunday, September 4, 2011

Week 1 Prompts: Know thyself....


Alone in a quiet room. Listen. What do you hear?
I close my eye for a split second to stop thinking and just listen. The first thing I hear is the soft bubbling of the fish tank and when you listen log enough I swear you can hear the fish swimming in circles. Then I heard the whine of the window fan, you know it a Wal-Mart special, because every so often you can hear the blade hit the side of fan box. Now I can hear my son in the other room yelling at his video game and jumping about. Meanwhile the last thing I hear is the soft buzzing of my computer and the very slow clicking of the keys.   

Alone in a quiet room. What do you see?
I see a mess, this room needs an overhaul. When did our bedroom become the catch all room? On the top of my husband dresser is a beer making kit because if he put it away he would forget about it, I guess. Right in front of his dresser is a basket of clean and oh so nicely folded clothes patiently wait to be put away. Over to the middle of the room a bed left unmade because it’s time to change the sheets. Looking to the floor dog hair oh it’s everywhere; I have to sweep every day to keep up with it. The real kicker is that I’m a bubble of yellow a ridiculously bright, super glossy sunshine yellow. The previous owner of the house loved bright colors and this is the last room to paint. The time has coming for this color to be put out to pasture.   

Alone in a quiet room. But what's really happening?
What’s really happening is a great question. I can go anywhere with this, but I’m going to stick with what I feel at this very moment. I love making to-do lists, that how I live my life. I make list and the last thing on that list is to make a list for tomorrow. It’s all about thinking, planning and hoping that you aren’t forgetting something. Half of the time I put things on the list that I know I’m not doing, but I hope I little magic will happen and it gets done anyway. The magic never happens, yet I still believe because I know someday it will.     

1 comment:

  1. Household tip: I have six dogs and don't worry about cleaning dog hair off the floor. What I do instead is let it all clog up in the casters of my rollaway task chair, and when the chair won't roll any more, I know it's time to clean the hairs out. I use a pair of needlenose pliers!

    :)

    Don't say you didn't learn anything useful in my class!

    As for the writing here, you do a fine job of integrating these three prompts into one larger response and doing the two necessary things: focus on the small and the here and now plus allow the small and immediate things to sort of expand outwards to give the bigger picture too.

    Yep, you did all that!

    ReplyDelete