Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 9: fiction and fact: speculative piece


I have been a part time college student since 2007 spending my weekends and evenings with my nose in a book or my fingers on a key board.  I have opted to sacrifice my free time, my T.V. time and my lay around with a good book time. I tell myself this is to better my future to get my dream job and finally settle into my career, to make the money that my talent so deserves. But is it really that simply, your whole life you hear as long as you graduate college you will land your perfect job.  When’s the last time you looked for a job?
            I still haven’t picked a major I’m having a hard time mapping out my future, my favorite question for anyone I meet in college is “What’s your Major?” followed closely by “What kind of job can you get with that degree?” The answer most of the time, I don’t know.  That’s one of the reasons why I haven’t been able to choose my major.  What if I choose the wrong degree? What kind of job will that degree provide me in this area? How big will my student loans be? What kind of money can I make? What if I take 10 years to get my bachelor's degree and I hate my new job? I wonder if I can keep going at this pace, but I have to telling myself don’t stop.  I have been going for so long now I think if I stopped, I don’t believe I could make myself go back.
            I can imagine my graduation day. It’s a beautiful day in May we all make our way to the University of Maine; I take my set in the midst of children just a little older then my son waiting for my name to be called.  I hold my degree in my hand make my way back to my seat. I did it, it took me so long but I did it. I’ll wipe the tears and wait till the ceremony is over.  I make my way through the crowd of families hugging and friends saying their goodbyes. I find my family we all hug and while I continue to cry. My wonderful parents finial get to trough me that graduation party, everyone makes me show them my degree, I hold on to it all afternoon like it’s my badge of honor. We drink big drinks and we dream big dreams of what comes next.
            The next day is what I really fear, I will no longer be dreaming of what comes next because I have just opened the book and I’m starting my new chapter one. I will have to go, explore the world finding what to do next instead of sitting and being taught.  I can’t just let the next Monday come and wait for something to change. Going to school and learning was the easy part, taken what you have learned and proving yourself is a completely new and unfamiliar challenge.    

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting to read weeks 9 & 10 together. Week 9, this piece, is a corker--you are front and center in every word. Every word and idea here is alive, has breath and spirit, is heartfelt, gives the reader a portrait of you and the problem, and gives the reader in addition the sense of being completely in the hands of a writer who knows what she is doing.

    It's a charming piece, the last two grafs particularly.

    Now, compare it to week 10, a sort of companion piece, dealing with some of the same problems and worries. But week 10 is not really about you at all. In it you reflexively use 'you' instead of 'I' and the writing winds up being impersonal, thin, two-dimensional.

    With week 9, we feel we are reading something important to you. With week 10 we feel a bit of your desperation to finish an unwanted assignment.

    Well, fortunately for you, week 9 is all I can think of!

    ReplyDelete