Sunday, April 29, 2012

Week 13: appreciation/depreciation; the review


I love Netflix’s because it brings movies to your screen that you would never end up watching. One evening this past January everyone was to bed and nothing good was on TV. So I logged into my Netflix’s account and I decided to watch a movie I put on my list months ago. The name of the movie was Dogtooth. It was a movie about a family that home schooled the kids and a woman was brought in to cure the son’s libido.
            I don’t even remember what I was thinking when I added this movie to my list, but there I was 10 o’clock on cold Friday evening turning this movie on. I put an extra piece of wood on the fire and take my place on the couch. Click play, when the sub titles started I thought for sure they would stop after the first few scenes but they never did.  I keep waiting for something to happen within the plot but before I knew it a whole bunch of things happened and I didn’t even notice.    
            When I think back to when I read the review of this movie it seemed very innocent, but after the father hired a female  security guard from where he works to have sex with his son for money.  The first scene within the movie is the father blind folding this woman then putting in a tape during the drive he asks her if she likes the music he is playing; I knew at this point this movie was different.  As the movie goes on I see deception on the aliment level and two very messed up parent raising very some disturbed children. The three children have no idea what’s going on in the world around them; they have never seen the TV or read a book that wasn’t already chosen for them. By the end of movie I was shocked and appalled; I wasn’t sure if I wasted the last two hours of my life or if I learned something.

1 comment:

  1. This feels truncated, cut short--as if the last sentence really needed a little bit of unwinding and unpacking in another graf. You begin (I think rightly) to return the material back to you you, but seem to stop short.

    Or maybe not. That's my feeling but it's not firm enough for me to be asking for a rewrite. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete