Sunday, April 15, 2012

Week 11: expertise, authority


How to avoid school work..
            Every weekend rolls around and I tell myself that this will be the weekend I get all my school work done then I’ll work around the house. I wake up bright and early Saturday morning with that plan in mind. I first make coffee and turn my computer on. I lean on the side board will I waiting for the coffee. I look at the sink full of dishes, telling myself I can’t start writing till I have coffee so I might as well load the dish washer one less thing to do this afternoon.  The coffee finishes when I’m about half done, so about 5 minutes later it done. I make my coffee and make my way to my computer. Everyone is still asleep; the house is so quiet and peaceful. I wish I could just sit back and enjoy the silence; this is when I have to refocus on my goal. I need to stop putting this off I have been all week.
            I take my place in front of my computer, darn it I shouldn’t have let it open Facebook.  Well I’ll just think about what I’m going to write while I see how everyone’s morning is going.  So thirty minutes go by, my coffee cup is empty and I’ve gotten nothing done. I turn Facebook off and open Microsoft word. I’m just about to start typing and everyone starts to wake up, my peace and quiet is gone. The TV in the living room gets turned on and I hear blaring “Obtuse, rubber goose, green moose, guava juice, giant snake, birthday cake, large fries, chocolate shake. Odd parents fairly odd parents. It flips your lid when you are a kid with fairly odd parents!” God I hate that song, the writing mojo that I was hoping to fill me in that very moment was long gone.
            My want and need to achieve homework focus has floated away with that obnoxious cartoon jingle. I know I could just put in my ear buds and play some music to drown it out; I opt no. I’ll just work on it tomorrow. That’s right Sunday morning always are productive. I get up from my desk and began my day of yard work, house work and right in the middle of the day little league practice. A day full of everything but school work, and it sure did feel good.
            My alarm goes off at 7am; I know it crazy that I have a Sunday morning alarm. But morning time is that best time to write. Truth is told this morning started off pretty close to the same as yesterday, I just made muffins instead of loading the dishwasher. Then I sit at my desk with fresh out of the oven Blueberry Oatmeal muffin and steaming cup of coffee. This time it happened, I was able to focus and write. During the school year this is my weekend battle; sometimes I lose focus because family is visiting or project start. Then my Sunday morning alarm goes off and I force myself to get it done.

1 comment:

  1. I see you posted this on Sunday! So you wrote about what you were doing as you did it, always a nice trick--and it sounds as if you know, deeply know, your own procrastination techniques. That expertise is displayed proudly here, richly detailed, very effectively handled, almost as if you had all the time in the world to do it in!

    ReplyDelete