Saturday, December 3, 2011

65. In the drawer is a box made of carved and joined bits of driftwood, which holds objects meaningless to anyone else but sacred, precious, unforgettable to you... week 13


          I have a jewelry box full of thing I never ware, but I can’t get ridge of any of them.
One silver dangle earring with an olive green stone in the middle, I must have lost that earring 10 years ago, I keep it in hopes it mate may turn up. One pink quartz dragon, the necklace broke at the bar a long time ago. The dragon has a hold of me and isn’t letting go. A little deeper down is a white gold necklace, which my mother gave me for graduation. She has one that looks exactly the same but hers is gold. One silver anklet that has bells on it, I smile and think of all the noise I made back in my hippie days music and freedom. My broken engagement ring a moment of love and a promise of forever. Then I pick up earring that I have never worn it’s a small circle of fake diamonds with a tiny black stone in the middle. My grandfather gave then to me when I was about my son’s age. I have never felt that special till the day my son gave me a gift of his own. I dig all the way to the bottom and pull it out. There in my hand I hold a finally crafted necklace that Garrett created. It’s made up of plastic beads, all the colors of the rainbow. The necklace is by far too small to be worn everyday but much too valuable to be given away.   

1 comment:

  1. There isn't any particular logic to the order of the material here, but that lack does not make this confusing or difficult to read and understand--in fact, I think the randomness of the order (it's just the order the things happen to come to your hand) is charming. You give each item a mini-ride, and altogether the items add up to a mini-portrait of their owner.

    ReplyDelete