Friday, January 27, 2012

Week 2: coherence; action/observation descriptive essay


          I pick up my boots and walk over to the kitchen table. I can’t believe that today is the first time this year I have had to pull out these boots, being the first time I always check to make sure there isn’t something crazy like a spider or plastic Lego inside. I see nothing sharp but I do find a thick layer of dog hair, I think back to the first day I meet Denver he was sitting so quietly in his 5x10 concrete cell.
           I grow up with a house full of pet and I feel the need to keep up with that tradition. It’s almost like clockwork; we pull into the parking lot of the Bangor Humane Society.  Every few months we think of adding to our family and there we are slowly walking past all the amazing animals hoping that they all go to good homes but I don’t feel any kind of connection until I walk past this one particular dog. I know he was just waiting for me to show up and when I looked into his golden brown eyes I was a little taken back. I stood outside of his kennel for a few minutes just observing each other.
           At first I couldn’t believe that someone would abandon him, he looked so old and sad. I looked at his bio info he was only a year old. I looked back at him and then it came to me he looked like splinter from the teenage mutant ninja turtles. He was sporting a fu Manchu, bushy eyebrows and tuffs of hair hanging out of his ears. He has a long wire haired coat and a German Shepherds tail. I remember telling my husband that he wouldn’t be much of a shedder and we laugh about that now.  He was so cute, had friendly eyes and warm heart. But I walked away just like I have done with hundreds of other dogs, nonetheless I keep thinking of this Benji like dog.  
           The next day still wondering and regretting I knew it was time to take a risk, if he was still there he needed to come home with us. While I was at work I sent Darrell, Garrett and our dog Cody over after school the next day.  I felt panic growing every hour that goes by not hearing back from my family, will we be getting a new dog or will Cody be spending his last few years alone. Walking to my car that crispy fall day I get the call I was hoping for he was really meant to be with us.

2 comments:

  1. Hey amy, I'll read and comment tomorrow or Sunday, but just wanted to make sure there was no confusion about week 1: there definitely is an essay involved, not just that introduction.

    It's a nature essay, and lecture material and examples are on the site if you scroll down far enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has a wonderful opening with the boots, spiders, leggos, dog hair--I've been exactly there and that graf really spoke to me.

    I've also been to the Humane Society, but never again, because, y'know, grown men aren't supposed to cry. (Our dog Max came from a kill'shelter' in South Carolina and how he managed to wind up in Maine is a loooong story.)

    So, this piece does the job: a coherent narrative, describing your actions and nicely integrating those with your thoughts and your life.

    ReplyDelete