Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Week 15. Revision--sorting out the gold from the dross


          
            There is was 10 o’clock on a Friday night and everyone in the house was bed, I put an extra piece of wood on the fire and take my place in the middle of the couch. I pick up the x-box controller and turned on Netflix’s, I love Netflix’s. It brings movies to your screen that you would never end up watching. This cold winter night I started to scroll through all the movies we as a family has added to our queue. I settled on one by the name of Dogtooth. It was a movie about a family that chooses to home school the children, a woman was brought in to cure the son’s libido. I click play, when the sub titles started I thought for sure they would stop after the first few scenes but they never did. After it dawned on me that I would have to read through this whole movie, I took a few moments to decided do I want to delete this movie and switch to another movie in my queue.  I decided to finish what I started, telling myself that this movie will soon start making sense. But I keep waiting and waiting for something to happen, for the plot to thicken, it just never did.  Before I knew it a whole bunch of things happened and I didn’t even notice.   
            The first scene within the movie is two people in a car an older man blind folds a much younger woman, then he pops in a cassette tape. While they were drive he asks her if she likes the music he is playing; I knew at this point this movie was different.  As the movie goes on I see deception on the ultimate level and two messed up parents, raising some very disturbed children. The three children have no idea what’s going on in the world around them; they have never seen the TV or read a book that wasn’t already chosen for them. I have always known that when you have children it is a very great responsibility and at time it can seem overwhelming. When I’m raising my child I can look to other parents for advice and support because I think we are raising our kids with the same end goal. We want healthy children both physical and mentally.  As the movie progressed I became more and more shocked and appalled; these parents are ruining three perfectly good human beings. This movie made me feel uncomfortable and question our society.  At the end of the movie after I was able to completely understand what just happened I told myself it was just a movie.  But it wasn’t just a movie it was a moment that made me question the world and the people in it. Just what a movie is supposed to do.

1 comment:

  1. A movie has to be very very good to persuade me to read subtitles!

    This sounds seriously unpleasant, which is fine--I like in movies all the things my life ordinarily lacks: violence, cruelty, betrayal, passion, death-defying escapes, etc.

    But this just sounds claustrophobic and, trust me, an English teacher who lives at his computer has plenty of experience of claustrohobia.

    ReplyDelete